John: Hey, Kate, why weren't you at the school basketball competition yesterday? |
约翰:嘿,凯特,你昨天为什么没参加学校的篮球比赛? |
I called you so many times, |
我给你打了很多次电话, |
but you didn't answer. |
但你没有回答。 |
Kate: Sorry, John, I left my phone at home. |
但你没有回答。 |
John: What were you doing at the time of the competition? |
约翰:比赛时你在做什么? |
Kate: Well, I left my house late, |
凯特:嗯,我离家很晚, |
and when the competition started, |
比赛开始时, |
I was still making my way to school. |
我还在上学的路上。 |
John: Then what happened? |
约翰:然后发生了什么事? |
Kate: When I got to the bus stop, |
凯特:当我到达公共汽车站时, |
I realized that my bag was still at home. |
我意识到我的包还在家里。 |
John: But why didn't you just go home to get your bag? |
约翰:但是你为什么不回家拿你的包呢? |
Kate: I did. |
凯特:是的。 |
But while I was running back home, |
但是当我跑回家的时候, |
I saw a dog by the side of the road, |
我看到路边有一条狗, |
and it was hurt. |
它受伤了。 |
John: Oh, so I'm sure you helped the dog. |
约翰:哦,我相信你帮了那条狗。 |
I know how much you love animals. |
我知道你有多爱动物。 |
Kate: Yes, I wanted to call the animal helpline. |
凯特:是的,我想打动物热线。 |
But I didn't have my phone |
但我没有手机! |
So I had to wait for someone to walk by. |
所以我不得不等待有人走过。 |
Then I used his phone to call the helpline. |
然后我用他的电话拨打了求助热线。 |
John: OK, no wonder you didn't make it to the competition. |
约翰:好吧,难怪你没能参加比赛。 |
Kate: Yes, I'm so sorry I wasn't there to cheer you on. |
凯特:是的,很抱歉我没能为你加油。 |
But I'm happy that your team won. |
但我很高兴你们队赢了。 |